02 March 2005

CTE Teacher: Possible Loss of Employment

Date: Wednesday, 2 March 2005 3:08pm ET
To: jatkinson9.nc.rr.com;
From: TAO - Local
Subject: CTE Teacher: Possible Loss of Employment


Mrs. June Atkinson, Superitendent-in-Waiting
Raleigh, NC

Dear Mrs. Attkinson:

My name is Jane Whitehurst, and I am currently teaching computer programming (Visual Basic, C++, and Java) in the AOIT (Academy of Information Technology) at Apex High School in Apex, North Carolina. I am writing this letter to try to resolve a certification issue and to help ensure my job status for next year as a CTE teacher for the school year 2005-2006. Becky Privette, Apex CTE Department Chair, saw you speak yesterday in Greensboro at the AOIT conference and mentioned that you might be my last ray of hope.

In January 2004, I requested a transfer within Wake County from Broughton High School to Apex High School. At Broughton I was teaching math and computer science within the math department with a math/computer science license. At Apex, I teach computer programming courses in the CTE Business Department with a provisional license in CTE Business.

I asked for my transcripts to be evaluated to obtain continual licensing in CTE Business to teach these courses. I received a letter dated April 23 from Algina Mitchell, Site Coordinator of the Nash Regional Alternative Licensing Center stating that I had to complete credit for two courses, "Instructional Methods" and "Work Based Learning/Organization", as well as pass the PRAXIS II Subject test in order to maintain my employment status.

The PRAXIS exam tests only skills in economics, money management, business, processing information, communication, accounting, and marketing. My computer programming knowledge could not be evaluated with such an exam, and I was hired only to teach computer-programming courses. I am teaching the same courses this year as I did last year (only difference is the department in which I am teaching now--CTE), and I am using the pacing guide that I created; therefore, I do not understand the rationale for my having to take additional courses, as well as the Praxis.

To help you understand my background, here is a list of my credentials:

§ An undergraduate bachelor of arts in computer science with an education minor from Clemson University, South Carolina
§ A master of science in computer science education from Cardinal Stritch University, Wisconsin
§ A post-baccalaureate certification in computer science 9-12 from Cardinal Stritch University, Wisconsin
§ A Wisconsin license in Computer Science (405) to teach computer programming in high school (9-12)
§ 3 years employment - Oak Creek High School, Wisconsin (where I wrote the programming curriculum)
§ A North Carolina license in Mathematics (200) with Computer Endorsement (18079)
§ Current employment - Wake County (where I helped create computer science pacing guides)
http://www2.wcpss.net/c-and-i/downloads/pacing_guides/computer_science/index.htm

To resolve this matter I have contacted the following individuals in order who have each sent me in a different direction to get the same answercharl:
§ Wake County licensure administrator, Jessica Bragg
§ Kathy Sullivan, Director of Human Resources
§ Gayenell Gull, Beginning Teacher Inudction for NC DPI-HR
§ Deborah Seehorn, CTE-DPI
§ Dixie Newsome, CTE Senior Director, WCPSS
§ Algina Mitchell at RALC
§ Ann McArthur, Teacher Advisor to the Governor
§ Wake County HR coordinator, Mike Chappel
§ Wake County Senior HR Director, David Howell

Both Mr. Chappel and Mr. Howell met with me on Tuesday, March 1 to discuss a plan of action. The final point was made that even though the county and the school want me as a teacher they can do nothing without the permission of DPI. I believe mine is a rare situation in which there needs to be some adjustment. DPI sees no grey areas and is willing to lose a great teacher.

I have been given a deadline for June 30 to take the PRAXIS and sign up for two summer courses. I am running out of time to fight what I believe to be an unfair fight.

I am requesting that you help me with this certification issue, as I believe I should be allowed to have certification in CTE to teach these courses without additional conditions. If I can answer any questions, or if I need to meet with you or someone in person, please let me know. I will certainly appreciate any help you can give me in getting this certification issue resolved, and I look forward to hearing from you soon. You may contact me at 919-363-1359 (office), 919-858-9806 (home), 919-971-5133 (cell) or email me at jwhitehurst@wcpss.net.

Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,

Jane Sutherland WhitehurstTeacher, CTE Computer Science

No comments: