02 March 2005

CTE Teacher: Possible Loss of Employment

From: "JANE WHITEHURST"
To: ;
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: CTE Teacher: Possible Loss of Employment

Dear Mrs. Attkinson:
My name is Jane Whitehurst.

I now teach computer science at Apex High School in the CTE department with a
provisional CTE license. I taught computer science at Broughton in the math department with a Math/Computer Endorsement license.

DPI has mandated that I take two courses and the PRAXIS to earn the full CTE license by June 30, 2005.

I would be teaching the exact same courses for which I designed the pacing guides; therefore, I do not understand the rationale for these requirements.

I have a BA in computer science, a MS in computer science education, a Wisconsin license in computer science and a NC license in Mathematics.

I have contacted everyone from my school to the governor's office, who have each sent me in a different direction to get the same answer: "Can't teach CTE courses without CTE license". My solution is then to grant me the licensure based on my previous employment in the same county teaching the same curriculum or allow the CTE courses to be taught by someone with my certification. My concern also is why does the Wake County curriculum allow for the same course to be taught in two different departments? It makes it nearly impossible to transfer between schools within the county.

I believe my case is extenuating and DPI needs to treat this as a special case.

I am requesting your help with this certification issue. If I can answer any questions, or if I need to meet with you in person, please let me know.

You may contact me at 919-363-1359 (office), 919-858-9806 (home), 919-971-5133 (cell) or email me at jwhitehurst@wcpss.net.

Sincerely,Jane Sutherland Whitehurst

No comments: