02 September 2005

AP listserv

Date: 9-02-05
To: AP listserv
From: Jane Whitehurst

I was certified computer science in Wisconsin.
I moved to North Carolina in 2001.
The school I taught at in NC had computers in the math department.
The administration fanegelled (sp!) a NC math license for me.
I moved schools (within the same district) because I didn't want the IB route.
The new school has computers in the business department.
I was granted a one year provisional for business license.
During the year I fought all the way to the Senate but to no avail.
My business license provisional expired and now I can only teach math.

My fannegelled license is now more powerful than
1. undergrad in computer science, teaching minor
2. grad in computer science education
3. WI license to teach computer science
4. 3 years experience high school computer science in WI
5. 2 years college experience teaching computers
6. 3 years computer science teaching in NC
7. pacing guide/curriculum designer for NC

So, here I teach math (prealgebra, algebra 1 part 1, and tech math 1) and watch a business-licensed teacher (no java/c++ experience) teach the computer science courses.

Where do I go next?

Please help. I've going CSTA and wondering what they are doing for certification of computer science in states that just put it wherever they want. Jane S. Whitehurst

No comments: