04 September 2005

response to AP listserv announcement

Date: 09-04-05
To: Jwhitehurst
From: Becky
Re: response to AP listserv announcement

I totally agree with you! I also was frustrated with WCPSS. I had applied to teach (part time) a computer science course as a lateral entry candidate. I was not nearly as qualified as you are for teaching. I am a laid-off software engineer -contemplating potential new careers--- teaching being one. I interviewed but the job kept being posted, so I inquired and was told they were holding out for a certified business person, if at all possible. Needless to say, I didn't get that job. Raleigh Charter High School did hire me to teach two computer science jobs. I thoroughly enjoyed my classes. My AP students did very well on the test. Not being a "professional" teacher, I'm sure that I could do better -but getting a business certification license is totally uninteresting to me. I would prefer teaching math over business classes. Raleigh Charter High School doesn't seem to care that I'm not certified; however, teaching 1 or 2 classes is not enough. So, along with teaching 1 class this year (not enough students to justify an AP class this year), I am going to nursing school. I wish you luck in getting things changed in North Carolina! If there is anything I can do, let me know.

Becky

No comments: